Paper Cutting Artist- Kara Walker

Kara Walker is the artist I chose to blog about. Kara Walker is an African American artist that is one of the most prolific artists of her generation. She has gained national and international recognition for her cut-paper silhouettes that depict historical narratives that are preyed upon by sexuality and violence.

Kara Walker uses color in her pieces very vaguely. She works with more of a grey scale and blacks and whites which I find really interesting. Walker's art seems pretty simple, yet at the same time conveys a deep, powerful meaning behind it. Since she focuses her work on such serious events, I think using the black silhouette cut-outs is the best way to show off. 

Walker is very passionate about her work and wants the viewer to truly dig deep and try to understand the meaning behind each individual piece of art. Walker says, "I think really the whole problem with racism and its continuing legacy in this country is that we simply love it. Who would we be without the “struggle”? I am inspired by Walker's determination on this topic and working towards something that is this meaningful to her. 

Below are three images of Walker's work.



Comments

  1. I really like how you talked about Kara Walker, I thought it was interesting how she has gained international recognition from her paper cut pieces. I like the last work that you shared that says "FREE NORTHERN GIRLS" because Walker succeeded at using a good amount of detail within this piece.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Portfolio

Multiplicity