Artist Research

Jim Campbell, is a contemporary San Fransisco based artist that is known for his LED light works. Campbell started in film making then moved to electronic sculpture, and is currently working with film, sound, and LED light installations. Campbell uses light in a unique way. He tends to choose a darker background then use bright colored lights on what appears to be the top of his work.

I chose to research Campbell because when I saw his art the light speckles really grabbed my attention. I haven't seen any work like this before and it is definitely a change from what we have learned about in class so far and the artists we have looked at. Below is an attachment to a video that describes how he creates his work and hows us images of the pieces. https://www.sfmoma.org/artist/Jim_Campbell/


Robert Gober, another artist I chose to research creates sculptures that explore sexuality, nature, relationships, politics, and religion. Gober focusses his work on memories from his childhood. For example, he will sculpt objects like sinks, cribs, body parts, etc.. Gober's most famous pieces are life sized sculptures like a sink you would find in a home. He creates these pieces in his studio.

I think Gober is a super interesting artist in the fact that he sculpts real life objects and sometimes even incorporates running water in them. I also thought it was cool that several of his works were shown in New York and that is where I am from so I am able to connect a little more with him because I know some of the places where his work was shown. He uses materials that are found in every day life, just how we do in our class assignments. Below is an attachment to his website and works. https://www.matthewmarks.com/new-york/artists/robert-gober/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Portfolio

Multiplicity